Buying a light bulb these days isn’t as simple as just grabbing the quickest thing off the shelf—and it’s no longer about finding a specific wattage. At Blinds & Designs serving Marin County, we know how overwhelming bulb selection can be, and we want to give you some ideas about how to choose your lighting based on a room’s needs. Read on to learn more!
You’ll find light bulbs in different shapes, sizes, and even colors. The bulb’s packaging will give you information such as how many watts the bulb uses (a measure of the energy expenditure—LED bulbs use fewer watts than the old incandescent ones), how many lumens the bulb projects (a measure of brightness, usually a range from 300 to 1,600 per bulb), and the bulb’s temperature (typically a range from 2700 to 6500 Kelvin). The lower the temperature, the warmer the light (for a cozier feel); higher temperatures produce cool whites (blues) that imitate daylight (better for completing tasks), and medium temperatures produce neutral white light. You’ll want to consider the last two numbers the most as you decide your lighting for each room. For example:
- In the Living Room. Consider a total of 2,000 to 3,500 lumens for the room, with color temperature around 2,700 Kelvin.
- In the Bedroom. Shoot for between 2,500 and 4,000 lumens, with a temperature of 2,700 to 3,000 Kelvin.
- In the Bathroom. Think about a total of 5,000 to 7,500 lumens and a color temperature around 4,000 Kelvin.
- In a Home Office. Suggested overall brightness for a home office is 3,000 to 5,000 lumens, with a temperature of 3,500 to 4,500 Kelvin.
- In the Kitchen. Overall suggested kitchen brightness is 5,000 to 9,000 lumens, with a temperature of around 4,000 Kelvin.
Work With Natural Light
Be sure to use window fashions that help you use natural light to complement your electric lighting selections. From tiltable options like Parkland® Wood Blinds to raiseable Duette® Honeycomb Shades, your options for Hunter Douglas treatments are vast and include choices that are sure to work well with your décor. Speak with one of our consultants to determine the right window covering for your needs.
Understanding Home Lighting Marin County
Blinds & Designs offers a full line of quality window treatments to homeowners and commercial clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and Marin County areas, including Burlingame, Hillsborough, Atherton, and Los Altos. With an ongoing commitment to high quality products and exceptional service, we’ve been serving our communities for over 26 years.Stop by our showrooms in San Francisco or Belvedere-Tiburon to see a variety of motorization displays in our showroom or call 415-921-4217 Ext 101 for more information.