Home Decorating and Window Treatments
Window Treatments As Design Element
Here at Blinds & Designs serving San Francisco area, many of our customers ask us about how to incorporate window treatments into their room decorating plan. We know that this process can be overwhelming, so we’re always happy to help. If you’re thinking about decorating a room (or several) in your home, see below for a few steps and things to think about when it comes to window treatments.
- Decide whether you want your window or something else to be the focal point of the room. Whichever you choose, that’s what you’ll group your furniture around.
- Measure and graph the dimensions of the room on graph paper, using one square for each foot. Note where windows and doors are, as well as how far off the ground the bottom of the window is.
- Measure out your furniture, and cut graph-paper forms from the dimensions. You’ll be able to place the furniture throughout your graphed-in room without the backbreaking labor.
- Determine your color scheme. If your window is the focal point, you’ll likely want some color there. If something else is, add color elsewhere. A few guidelines to keep in mind: If your window treatments are neutral, you can change the color of paint easier and for far less money than changing the window treatments. Remember, when the sun comes through a colored window treatment, it will also affect the colors of all objects in the room. When you put color on a window treatment, it will automatically become the focal point in the room.
- Think about the type of window treatment you’d like in the room as well as how you’d like it to function. Start with a functioning horizontal or vertical window treatment, such as honeycomb shades, Roman shades, vertical blinds, or shutters. Next think about adding drapery panels or a valance to your window treatment. The addition of draperies or top treatments can soften a room and/or add a splash of color tie the room together.
- Have a budget in mind and a contingency fund set aside. You don’t want to set yourself up for disappointment. There’s always one or two items that push you over your budget, but you find you just can’t live without.
- Finally, allow yourself enough time to complete the project. You don’t want to have to rush to just get it done.
Visit us at Blinds & Designs in San Francisco. Our trained consultants will be happy to help you pick the right window treatment for your room design.
Window Treatments in San Francisco and Marin County
Blinds & Designs offers a full line of quality window treatments to homeowners and commercial clients throughout the San Francisco and Marin County areas, including Burlingame, Hillsborough, Atherton, and Los Altos.
With an ongoing commitment to high quality products and exceptional service, we’ve been serving our communities for over 14 years. Stop by our showrooms in San Francisco or Tiburon to see a variety of motorization displays in our showroom or call 415-921-4212 for more information.