Yes, it’s important to choose the main color of a room, but it’s equally important to choose the accent colors and colors for the details. At Blinds & Designs serving Marin County, we know that color can seem daunting—but really, it’s not. See below for some ideas, and be sure to speak with one of our consultants regarding your specific situation.
Selecting Your Colors
To help you determine how all colors might come together, consider consulting a color wheel, which can show you the relationships between colors. You can choose complementary colors by selecting colors directly across the wheel from each other or analogous colors by choosing colors next to each other. One important factor is how you want the space to feel—do you want bold, bright colors to create energy, or do you want something more mellow, to create a sense of repose?
Baseboards Can Use Color Too
You might be surprised by what a difference the right baseboard color can be—and it’s not necessarily keeping them white. You can actually add some great depth to your room by swapping out the baseboard color. If you do, keep a few things in mind:
- Using stain can help create a feel of the real wood of the baseboards, for a rich, warm, traditional look in the room. With light-colored walls, choose a lighter stain, and with dark-colored walls, choose a darker stain.
- If you’ve chosen a dark color for the wall, consider using cream, ivory, or off-white to offset the darkness. Because these lighter colors could be tinged with blue or pink undertones, be sure to speak with a color professional to get the right shade.
- Using dark colors for the baseboards will make the room look contemporary. Dark baseboards are especially good for small spaces because the look can add a sense of depth.
- Semigloss paint is easier to clean and can nicely contrast the wall color while also reflecting the light in the room.
- No matter your color or paint choices, be sure to be consistent within each space to create a seamless look.
Accents Can Add Interest to a Room
Adding pops of color through accents can give your room some visual interest while also bringing out personality. Many rooms are best in neutral colors or a softer base, but your accents like artwork, vases, throw pillows, and accent rugs can really bring in the zing you might crave. And, just like with baseboards, your window fashions and accessories can tie your space together. For example, if you have bright, bold colors on your walls, consider using a neutral window fashion for balance. Window fashions like Duette® Cellular Shades are offered in numerous neutral colors to enhance a room.
Details Color in Marin County
Blinds & Designs offers a full line of quality window treatments to homeowners and commercial clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and Marin County areas, including Burlingame, Hillsborough, Atherton, and Los Altos. With an ongoing commitment to high quality products and exceptional service, we’ve been serving our communities for over 26 years.
Stop by our showrooms in San Francisco or Belvedere-Tiburon to see a variety of motorization displays in our showroom or call 415-921-4212 Ext 101 for more information.