One of the greatest hazards to children and pets is dangling cords from window treatments. Children imitate their parents’ neckwear or come up with games to play with the cords, unaware of the dangers. However, today, there is no reason for us to lose another child through “Infant Cord Strangulation.” Whether you’re looking to buy new window treatments or trying to find ways to make your current treatments safe, there are many solutions.
An inherently safe treatment to buy is plantation shutters. Using a louver system, they have no dangling cords. If you’re looking for other treatments, know that the Window Covering Industry uses many methods to communicate the potential hazards of corded window treatments. The use of tags helps communicate the important message of child safety and the potential strangulation hazards of corded window treatments. Look for those tags.
If you’re shopping for Hunter Douglas products, rest assured: With the many operating systems from Hunter Douglas, dangerous dangling cords don’t ever have to be an issue.
- LiteRise® and SimpleLift™ Operating Systems—with these systems, simply push up to raise and pull down to lower. Your blinds and shades stay right where you put them.
- Motorization—this option eliminates lift cords and provides added security.
- Vertiglide™—this system has no lift cords or chains and is perfect for window treatments that open side to side, such as patio doors.
- Wand Control—a wand controls all functions without any cords.
- Clutch Lifting System—the spring clutch lifting system raises and lowers shades without any cords.
To learn more and download the Hunter Douglas Child Safety brochure, click here.
To learn more about window treatment safety, visit one of the following sites:
- Window Covering Safety Council
- Window Coverings Manufacturers Association
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
Window Treatment Safety in San Francisco and Marin County
Blinds & Designs offers a full line of quality window treatments to homeowners and commercial clients throughout the San Francisco and Marin County areas, including Burlingame, Hillsborough, Atherton, and Los Altos. With an ongoing commitment to high quality products and exceptional service, we’ve been serving our communities for over 14 years.
Stop by our showrooms in San Francisco or Tiburon to see a variety of motorization displays in our showroom or call 415-921-4212 for more information.